How to Clean with Bleach – The Do’s and Don’ts
What are the Do’s and Don’ts of Cleaning with Bleach?
Disinfecting surfaces is key when preventing the spread of germs and viruses in our homes and businesses. One of the most common disinfecting agents to do this with is bleach. However, due to it being a very strong disinfectant, bleach needs to be handled and used properly according to the specific instructions on the bottle. So below are some of the do’s and don’ts to keep in mind when you are using bleach to disinfect.
What To Do When Using Bleach to Disinfect
- Follow dilution and application instructions on the bottle when using bleach as a disinfectant.
- Do not store pre-made diluted bleach solution, make it fresh each day when using. After the mixture has sat for 24 hours it does not have the same disinfecting power as it does when made fresh.
- Make sure the area you are disinfecting with bleach is well-ventilated in order to minimize your inhalation exposure.
- Wash your skin immediately if full-strength bleach comes in contact with your skin. Not doing so may lead to allergic reactions, chemical burns on your skin, or other bodily damage.
- Clean the surface you want to disinfect before applying the bleach mixture.
What Not To Do When Using Bleach to Disinfect
- Do not use more bleach in a diluted mixture than is instructed on the bottle when disinfecting.
- Do not mix bleach with other cleaning or disinfecting products. If you do so, you may cause a bad chemical reaction.
- Always wear protective gear when handling bleach, such as gloves and/or eye protection. If you use it often for prolonged periods of time, consider using a respirator too to minimize inhalation exposure.
- Do not inhale or ingest bleach – even after it has been diluted.
- Always store bleach away from children and pets.
Regular disinfecting can help keep you, your loved ones, and those around you safe from germs and viruses. For more information on the differences between “disinfecting”, “sanitizing”, and “cleaning”, click here.
Let us help you keep your business clean, disinfected, and sanitized. For more information contact your local WCP account manager or customer service. We’d be happy to set up a consultation to discuss the best cleaning chemicals and equipment options to meet the goals of your business. Give us a call today at (877) 398-3030.