What You Need to Know About the New APASS Frustration Free Packaging Guidelines
Many of our customers here at WCP sell their products on Amazon so with some new changes to APASS standards, we’re here to help our customers design their packaging to meet the new stricter requirements and answer any questions you might have on the topic. Standards have changed a lot over the past year here is everything you need to know!
What is APASS?
APASS stands for Amazon Packaging Support and Supplier Network and basically refers to the company’s standards that packages must meet to be shipped through them. In September of 2018, Amazon announced that FFP (Amazon’s concept of “frustration-free” packaging) was no longer voluntary as it had been since 2007.
It was recently announced that Amazon would be taking FFP to the next level, by requiring vendors and distributors who sell and fulfill through Amazon to meet FFP standards or pay $1.99 per unit in a chargeback from Amazon. This new change in standards will take full effect on September 3, 2019.
Going Further Into the Details of APASS Packaging Guidelines
While there is a lot of information available out there about the new requirements, here are the basics you need to know:
- All packaged items must be certified as ready-to-ship within Amazon’s Frustration-Free Packaging programs (Tier 1, Tier 2, or Tier 3).
- The minimum box size is 9” x 6” x ⅜” and must weigh less than 50 lbs. Anything smaller or weighing more than 50 lbs will be charged $1.99 per unit.
- The maximum box size is 18” x 14” x 8” and includes items weighing more than 20 lbs that don’t meet Tier 1-FFP or Tier 2 (SIOC) will be charged $1.99 per unit.
- Tier 1 of Amazon’s Frustration-Free Packaging (FFP) ships in its own container, includes curbside recyclable packaging materials, is easy to open with minimal packaging, has minimal damage potential and no Amazon preparation is required.
- Tier 2 items ship in their own container (SIOC) without an Amazon over-box. These items require no Amazon preparation, have minimal damage and defect rates and are ISTA 6-Amazon SIOC approved.
- Tier 3 is known as Prep-Free Packaging (PFP). These items ship in an Amazon over-box but require no Amazon preparation, have minimal damage and defect rates and are ISTA 6-Amazon OVER BOX approved.
How WCP Solutions Can Help!
APASS FFP standards can be a lot to take in, but WCP is here to help our customers. We can offer assistance to help you understand the new guidelines specifically for your products, as well as provide the packaging materials needed for your business. We also have the opportunity to help you create custom packaging from our Structural Design team with custom Perfect Fit® products. And finally, once packaging design is complete, WCP Solutions can help find an APASS testing center to get your product certified, which will ultimately protect you against the chargeback fees from Amazon, saving you time and money.
Contact us today to learn more or ask any questions you might have about the new standards and the APASS system!